Camp Verde (Images of America) (Paperback)
In February 1864, a party of 17 men and two women left the security of the territorial capital at Prescott, Arizona, and headed east into the Verde Valley, homeland of the Yavapai and Apache. Drawn by the promise of ample water, rich bottomland, and lush grassland, the party established a farming and ranching community near the confluence of West Clear Creek and the Verde River. In spite of conflict with the Yavapai and Apache, the settlement survived, due in part to the establishment of a military presence late that summer. Over the next 35 years, the settlement at Lower Verde thrived around the army fort, and became known as Camp Verde. In 1891, Fort Verde was abandoned, and the surrounding land opened to homesteading in 1895. The post sold at auction in 1899. Built among the ruins of the ancient Sinagua culture and situated along the banks of the Verde River, Camp Verde remains an agricultural paradise and a haven for those wanting to escape city life.