Addiction Counseling: A Practical Approach (Paperback)
Equips the upcoming generation of counselors with crucial knowledge to skillfully treat both chemical and behavioral addictions
Grounded in leading-edge, evidence-based research, this hands-on text applies a step-by-step approach to addictions counseling. This book encompasses assessment, diagnosis, and treatment planning; case management; and relapse prevention, with an incisive focus on behavioral addictions and co-occurring disorders. The text covers all essential topics as outlined in the gold standard SAMSHA Counselor Training Manual. Included are detailed guidelines on how to write succinct treatment plans and conduct effective client sessions; case studies; role-playing exercises; and clinical applications to assessment and diagnosis, treatment planning, and case management. Notes from the Field" provides actual interviews with experienced clinicians working with a variety of client populations throughout the country.
Critical topics unique to the book include the role of neuroscience in addiction treatment, relapse prevention, and advocacy. In addition, the text offers specific chapters on behavioral addictions and co-occuring disorders as well as a separate chapter on multicultural counseling covering gender, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation, age, religion, and disability considerations. It is also distinguished by an abundance of downloadable forms and documents. Pedagogical elements to help learners process and apply concepts include learning objectives, terms to know, learning activities, recommended resources, and chapter summaries. Faculty aids include an instructor's manual with sample syllabi, CACREP mapping tools, test bank, and PowerPoint slides. This essential resource will be valued as a primary textbook for any course that focuses on addiction counseling and treatment.
- Describes a variety of etiological models and how they become a means of assessing biopsychosocial risk factors
- Delivers step-by-step guidelines on how to write concise treatment plans and for conducting effective treatment sessions
- Devotes a chapter to motivational interviewing to promote willingness to change
- Includes cutting-edge research pertaining to neuroscience and its applications and evidence-based treatment practices
- Provides separate chapter on multicultural counseling and substance use disorders among people of diverse races, ethnicities, genders, class, ages, and spirituality
- Offers real-world insights with "Notes from the Field" feature
- Facilitates practical application through role play exercises, treatment technique and assessment case examples, biopsychosocial assessment guidelines, how to provide client feedback, and more
- Includes multiple digital downloadable tools and purchase includes digital access for use on most mobile devices or computers