The California Landlord's Law Book: Rights & Responsibilities (Paperback)
Choosing tenants, raising the rent, returning deposits, and maintaining rental property--these are just a few of the things landlords do that are strictly regulated by California law. To avoid problems and hefty legal fees, property owners and managers need to know and comply with federal, state, and local rules, and use the proper legal forms. Fortunately, everything you need is in this book.
Rent control and eviction protections are now a matter of state law, and even small municipalities are enacting their own ordinances that affect rent, terminations, and notices. This book contains a unique rent control chart that explains key provisions and gives information on how to learn more. No California landlord can afford to do business without checking for local ordinances and following them.
With The California Landlord's Law Book: Rights & Responsibilities you'll learn how to:
- screen prospective tenants--without discriminating illegally
- prepare (and enforce) leases and rental agreements
- apply the state-wide rent control and eviction protection law if it applies to you
- collect and return security deposits
- raise the rent and change other terms of the tenancy
- hire, work with, and fire property managers
- keep up with repairs and maintenance
- restrict subletting and short-term rentals
- act promptly when rent is late, and
- terminate a tenancy.
With Downloadable forms: Download and customize more than 40 essential legal forms, including a lease and rental agreement (in both English and Spanish), tailored to meet California law-- details inside.