Elevating Game Experiences with Unreal Engine 5 - Second Edition: Bring your game ideas to life using the new Unreal Engine 5 and C++ (Paperback)
Get hands-on with game development tools and techniques to build game project using the latest version of Unreal Engine and C++, two of the most widely used tools in the games industry
- Kickstart your career or develop a new hobby by learning game development with Unreal Engine 5 and C++
- Learn techniques to prototype and develop your own ideas with key images printed in color
- Reinforce your skills with project-based learning by building a series of games from scratch
Immerse yourself in the Unreal game projects with this book, written by four highly experienced industry professionals with many years of combined experience with Unreal Engine. Elevating Game Experiences with Unreal Engine 5 will walk you through the latest version of Unreal Engine by helping you get hands-on with the game creation projects.
The book starts with an introduction to the Unreal Editor and key concepts such as actors, blueprints, animations, inheritance, and player input. You'll then move on to the first of three projects, building a dodgeball game, where you'll learn the concepts of line traces, collisions, projectiles, user interface, and sound effects. You'll also discover how to combine these concepts to showcase your new skills. The second project, a side-scroller game, will help you implement concepts such as animation blending, enemy AI, spawning objects, and collectibles. And finally, you'll cover the key concepts in creating a multiplayer environment as you work on the third project, an FPS game.
By the end of this Unreal Engine book, you'll have a broad understanding of how to use the tools that the game engine provides to start building your own games.
What You Will Learn:
- Create a fully functional third-person character and enemies
- Implement navigation with keyboard, mouse, and gamepad
- Program logic and game mechanics with collision and particle effects
- Explore AI for games with Blackboards and behavior trees
- Build character animations with animation blueprints and montages
- Polish your game with stunning visual and sound effects
- Explore the fundamentals of game UI using a heads-up display
- Discover how to implement multiplayer in your games
Who this book is for:
This book is for game developers looking to get started with using Unreal Engine 5 for their game development projects. Anyone who has used Unreal Engine before and wants to consolidate, improve, and apply their skills will find this book useful. To better grasp the concepts explained in this book, prior knowledge of C++ basics such as variables, functions, classes, polymorphism, and pointers is required. For full compatibility with the IDE used in this book, a Windows system is recommended.